Saturday, December 1, 2007

Music Today..

I think that one of the main problem with music today is that the general populace doesn't take music seriously enough. The most popular kind of music is hiphop and when you ask someone why they enjoy it, 9/10 times you will get the answer "it has a good beat" or, "its fun to dance to." I think that people don't appreciate true songwriting for the most part anymore. I'm not saying that nobody respects it, but I do think that it is overlooked in favor of something being "catchy." People call bands like the RJA or Green Day the best band in the world because they can write a simple 5 (or 3) chord progression song with some shallow statement to be made and peopel latch onto it. I have immense respect for writers like Josh from Showbread or Ryan from Demon Hunter. I am not saying they are best lyricists ever, but they write profound, important lyrics that are more than just a cheesy cliche and really explore aspects of life, morality and faith.
Possibly my two favorite lyric writers today are Davey Havok of AFI and Stephen Christian of Anberlin. If anyone who happens to come across this blog listen to either band, they will know what I am talking about. Havok writes, in my opinon, amazing and honest lyrics that are wrapped up in brilliant metaphors. Christian, however, goes for a much more straightforeword style of writing and combines it with melodies that absolutely floor me everytime I hear them. Songs like Dismantle.Repair. and Fin are excellent examples. He deals with such heavy issues of faith and doubt and reality that it honestly just blows me away.

Anyways, there is a short, less than thouroughly thought out analysis of modern lyric and song writing for today. I might come back and edit this up (assuming I can do that on here, Ive never tried). Anyways, for anyone who might see this, Go listen to the aforementioned Anberlin songs and remember, anyone can program a beat, few can change your life lyrically.

No comments: